12.10.2007

Divinity

Two questions my Dad has talked to me about ever since I was a little girl: what happens after death and how can space end?

I used to stand outside at night and look up at the sky; thousands of twinkling stars, but what is beyond that? He always told me that the idea of people not existing after death and that space is not infinite were two ideas that were absolutely inconceivable to the human mind, and anyone who disagrees has a lethal combination of ego, stubbornness and misinformation.

To this day, those ideas still perplex me, and I am no closer to disagreeing that they are indeed inconceivable. There is no scientist, Pagan, or religious enthusiast who can tell me that there is nothing after death because the human mind is incapable of picturing itself as non-existent. There is no astrologist who can tell me that there is a blockade in space, because how can it end?

When I was younger, I started linking those two questions together. Space cannot end just like the mind cannot end, as the mind doesn't have the ability to imagine things as so. Humans don't have the brain capacity to understand the idea of something stopping. We are not divine.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Yes, the mind does not contain the capacity to know of blankness, devoid of being. Unfortunately, no one will know what happens after death and no one knows how far the universe stretches. That's just a question that we are not capable of knowing. However, maybe it's possible, that when we die our brains will no longer fire off synapses and nerves and therefore we become non-existent to ourselves because our brains no longer have the ability to move on.

Of course, no one will ever know for sure, and it's unnerving to me thinking that there are no answers. It doesn't make me turn to "divinity" per se. But I can see how people turn to religion and philosophy for answers. For me, I am okay not knowing. I would rather focus on life as it happens. Not life in the future.